Three observations on Bhyve

symbolics at gmx.com symbolics at gmx.com
Fri Oct 25 14:33:43 UTC 2013

Hi

A few things I've noticed playing with Bhyve & vmrun.sh

(1) You can't boot an i386 ISO. It can't load the kernel. I half
expected this would be the case. It would be nice if this did work.

(2) VirtIO on a raw disc device seems to have some problems. I tried
installing using the -BETA1 amd64 ISO. The disc particulars seem to be
detected fine but when I try and commit the partition layout I see:

5vtbd0: hard error cmd=write 290-305

The disc is a 640GB WD SATA disc and I used the automatic scheme, if it
makes any difference.

* I also had to comment the -f test in vmrun.sh (line 116) of course.

(3) I tried to use the live environment in order to play around with
(2) a bit more but it lacks the necessary /etc/ttys line. It would be
great if this wasn't required *somehow*.

Should I file PRs for these issues?

Thanks!

--sym