bhyve - non *bsd guests

Scott Pilz scottp at solarus.net
Wed Nov 27 04:25:55 UTC 2013

 	Firstly I'd like to say thank you for those involved in the bhyve
project. It has come a long way in a short amount of time, and I'm staying
on top of the changes as much as possible. I've been running jails since
forever and this new VM, native to FreeBSD, has impressed me.

 	I've been testing out bhyve on a dual X5570/50GB memory. I have no
problem running FreeBSD 9.2, 10.0-BETA2, 11.0-CURRENT and FreeNAS (during
my testing I've run 6 in total, with load on each guest and I've had no
problems).

 	The host machine is 10.0-BETA3, standard install and no changes to
the BSD installation.

 	I'm trying to run guests outside of the BSD spectrum (grub
installed, everything needed should be installed). I've tried OpenBSD as
well as Ubuntu thus far - the results are the same.

 	The error I'm getting is:

VM unrestricted guest capability required
Error in initializing VM

 	I'm using the bhyve-script.tar scripts and following the
instructions for each host. I've been in and out of BIOS many times and I
can't seem to find any setting that would cause this.

 	According to ark.intel.com, the processor supports VT-x, EPT, etc
(http://ark.intel.com/products/spec/SLBF3).

 	I'm open to suggestions, the only thing I can think of is a) I'm
doing something wrong, b) the CPU does not support what I'm trying to do
or c) this is an unknown problem that there may be a fix for in the
future.

 	Thanks

 	Scott