FreeBSD 9.1-Rel: Jail-rc startup of vnet jails with new configuration syntax

Kristen Nielsen krn at krn.dk
Thu Nov 7 12:26:43 UTC 2013

Hi freebsd-virtualization list

I am trying to figure out how to start configured jails within FreeBSD
9.1Release at boot time.
I am using new C-style jail configuration syntax in /etc/jail.conf.
all jail starts successfully when i do a jail -c from the commandline.

I am trying to configure jails to start at boot time using the features
in the /etc/rc.conf file.

in /etc/rc.conf at base host i have
jail_enable="YES"
jail_list=" jail1 jail2 jail3 "

and no more jail related lines, evereything else is placed into the jail
configuration (C-style) file.

running "service jail start":
Configuring jails:.
Starting jails:/etc/rc.d/jail: ERROR: jail: No hostname has been defined
for jail1

Looking into the /etc/rc.d/jail script it seems it expects that the
/etc/rc.conf contains old style jail configuration statement like

jail_<jname>_hostname="jail1"
etc.

I have looked at the patch at:
http://wiki.polymorf.fr/index.php/Howto:FreeBSD_jail_vnet
but it also uses the old style (rc.config) jail configuration format,
but with extended number of parameters. The patch is dated before the
9-1 release where the C-style jail configuration syntax was taken into use.

is there a patch for /etc/rc.d/jail script that make it handles the new
style jail configuration file format (the C-style format). or am I doing
this the wrong way.

If you can point me into the right direction it will be very helpfull.

Whishlist
It would be great with something like a /etc/jail.d/<jailname> setup
where each jail configuration file is contained in a separate file, the
format is the same as the /etc/jail.conf, the latter fil just holds
configurations for all jails. Both files with the C-style syntax.

Regards
Kristen Nielsen, Denmark.
krn at krn.dk