FreeBSD PVHVM call for testing

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at
Fri May 24 22:27:38 UTC 2013

On Thu, May 23, 2013 at 6:30 AM, Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau at>wrote:

> On 23/05/13 15:20, Jeroen van der Ham wrote:
> >
> > On 13 May 2013, at 20:32, Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau at> wrote:
> >> Also, I've created a wiki page that explains how to set up a FreeBSD
> >> PVHVM for testing:
> >>

> > You mention on that page that it is easier to install on 10.0-CURRENT
> snapshots.
> > What are the issues with installing this on 9.1? Is it possible?
> I don't think it is recommended to use a HEAD (10) kernel with a 9.1
> userland. You can always install a 9.1 and then do a full update with
> the source on my repository.

Actually in FreeBSD, it is possible to run an older userland on a newer
and a lot of effort is spent in preserving this type of backwards
So a 9.1 userland with a 10 kernel will work.
However, running a newer userland on an older kernel is not guaranteed to
So running a 10 userland with a 9.1 kernel will most likely not work.

However, since you guys are doing very cutting edge stuff with 10-CURRENT,
it is better that you do not waste time with 9.1.

I recommend you start with a 10.0 CURRENT snapshot ISO and go from there.
I am going through a similar setup exercise with a Google Summer of Code
where he needs to have a latest CURRENT system running in a VM.

I wrote this blog post:

for the steps how to do it.  You can follow those steps to get bootstrapped
with a working environment if it helps you out.

Good luck.