VirtualBox: The value of the Base Memory field on the System page is not complete

Mikhail Tsatsenko m.tsatsenko at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 16:23:08 UTC 2013

2013/6/25 kron <kron24 at gmail.com>:
> On 2013/06/25 09:16, Mikhail Tsatsenko wrote:
>> 2013/6/25 kron <kron24 at gmail.com>:
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> I'm running virtualbox-ose-4.2.14 on FreeBSD 9.1-STABLE r252094M
>>> amd64. The GUI of VirtualBox cannot create/update virtual box
>>> definitions (the *.vbox) files. The scrollbar and the form field
>>> for "Base Memory" are broken and the following error message
>>> is displayed:
>>>
>>> "The value of the Base Memory field on the System page is not
>>> complete."
>>>
>>> I guess it comes from the base memory upper bound preset to zero
>>> but I have no clue what's the source for the zero value.
>>>
>>> The problem is just in the GUI:
>>> - I can create or update VMs using the CLI
>>> - the VMs created in older VirtualBox versions run fine
>>>
>>> I anyone facing the same problem?
>> I confirm the problem. Apparently this is a regression in the latest version.
>>
>> Currently I'm looking at full diff between  VirtualBox 4.2.12 and
>> 4.2.14, but still can't  find a change which could cause the issue.
>
> At a first glance, RTSystemQueryAvailableRam? I see some
> new occurrences in the diff. Unfortunately, it's one of
> the OS dependent functions. However, I don't speak C++,
> so I'm just guessing...
Thanks for suggestion.
Perhaps you are right, furthermore I can not see FreeBSD version of
that function, so currently we have at least two different approaches:
- Rollback to an old version of system memory calculation method
(which was a dirty hack,according to code comments)
- Or just implement such function and send it upstream.
The second way seems to me more preferable. It takes me a few days,
until that you have to use cli tools or previous VirtualBox port
revision from svn.

> Oli

Михаил