Proposal for better support of hypervisors and their synthetic drivers at boot-time

Larry Melia larrymelia at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 13:16:02 UTC 2013

John,

Sorry for not responding earlier to your comments, but we’re at a point
where we’re trying to get our VM drivers included with the current build.
Your solution for dynamic loading sounds wonderful! Is this a simple
change? And how can we help?

Here’s an example of the modern, preferred way (Linux has been doing this
for 5+ years) to detect the presence of a hypervisor on x86/AMD chips, both
32/64 bit modes (this is pulled from our FreeBSD driver, but the formatting
is off because Google's Gmail really wants to make it look "pretty"):

*#define HV_X64_MSR_GUEST_OS_ID     0x40000000*

*#define HV_X64_CPUID_MIN  0x40000005*

*#define HV_X64_CPUID_MAX  0x4000ffff*

*static* *int*

*hv_check_for_hyper_v*(*void*)

{

         u_int regs[4];

         *int* hyper_v_detected *=* 0;

         do_cpuid(1, regs);

         *if* (regs[2] *&* 0x80000000) {

                 */* if(a hypervisor is detected) */*

                 */* make sure this really is Hyper-V */*

                 */* we look at the CPUID info */*

                 do_cpuid(HV_X64_MSR_GUEST_OS_ID, regs);

                 hyper_v_detected *=*

                          regs[0] *>=* HV_X64_CPUID_MIN *&&*

                          regs[0] *<=* HV_X64_CPUID_MAX *&&*

                          *!*memcmp("Microsoft Hv", *&*regs[1], 12);

         }

         *return* (hyper_v_detected);

}

Of course, a general purpose routine will simply copy the name-tag
somewhere and make it available.
We are also having some issues with some of the disk utilities. They need
to behave differently when operating under a hypervisor. I’ll try to
provide a list of all the things that should be upgraded or enhanced, then
we can figure out the best way to get them done.