bhyveload "vm_create: Device not configured"

Eggert, Lars lars at netapp.com
Tue Apr 30 09:06:49 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Apr 30, 2013, at 9:38, "Eggert, Lars" <lars at netapp.com> wrote:
> I'm starting to play around with bhyve, and I'm trying to byhveload a disk image that I otherwise use to netboot some headless servers. When I tried that, I get:
>
> root at five:~ # bhyveload -d /home/elars/dst/rootfs test
> vm_create: Device not configured

turns out that because I used the loader to kldload vmm.ko, I did not see the following error message, which is thrown when loading it when booted:

vmx_init: processor does not support desired primary processor-based controls

The CPU in this box reports as:

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5240  @ 3.00GHz (3000.17-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x1067a  Family = 0x6  Model = 0x17  Stepping = 10
  Features=0xbfebfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,DTS,ACPI,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SS,HTT,TM,PBE>
  Features2=0xc0ce3bd<SSE3,DTES64,MON,DS_CPL,VMX,EST,TM2,SSSE3,CX16,xTPR,PDCM,DCA,SSE4.1,XSAVE,OSXSAVE>
  AMD Features=0x20100800<SYSCALL,NX,LM>
  AMD Features2=0x1<LAHF>
  TSC: P-state invariant, performance statistics

Shouldn't this be sufficient to support bhyve?

Thanks,
Lars