Bhyve: panic: "Unregistered use of FPU in kernel" when starting guest

sree.openwrk sree.openwrk at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 23:46:36 UTC 2012

Hey Neel
I tried to see if the problem is reproducible after the fix went in.
Looks like I have landed in to another issue. Now when I start the guest
vm, the host hangs and could only be rebooted. Since its not a crash I am
not able to get a crash dump. Is this a known issue? Also is there a way I
can config and get to kick off a trace using something lie a hw-watchdog or
something?

Reproduction steps-
1. I have 8gb memory and I have limited the host to see only 4gb.
svas-fbsd# sysctl -a | grep hw.physmem
hw.physmem: 3116384256

output from dmesg-
real memory  = 8589934592 (8192 MB)
avail memory = 2999402496 (2860 MB)

2. I checkedout the latest code from svn://
svn.freebsd.org/base/projects/bhyve. The revision number is 243326. The
host has this image built out of this.

3.  These are the steps I followed, before starting the guest. Then it
hangs.
    a) kldload vmm
    b) kldload if_tap
    c) ifconfig tap0 create

4. I use the prebuilt tarball given at
http://people.freebsd.org/~neel/bhyve/vm1.tar.gz.

5. I start the vm as ./vmrun.sh vm1 and it hangs after displaying the
message "Launching virtual machine "vm1" with 768MB memory below 4GB and
2048MB memory above 4GB ..."

Thanks