VIMAGE + kldload wlan + kldload wtap panic

Marko Zec zec at fer.hr
Tue Mar 6 19:53:04 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 06 March 2012 19:01:11 Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What do we need to do to get VNET working in net80211 and the network
> drivers?

In principle one shouldn't have to touch anything in the network drivers.

In order for networking code to properly resolve virtualized state, curvnet
(which is a synonim for curthread->td_vnet) must be set to a proper context
when calling into networking code, and restored to previous value on
returned.  CURVNET_SET() and CURVNET_RESTORE() are macros which should be
used to do this.

As far as I know there are three ways for a function call to end up in the
networking code: A) system calls (socket related, or syctls); B) servicing
inbound packets; and C) timers / periodic tasks.

Cases A) and B) should be mostly covered in generic socket handlers and in
netisr dispatchers, except sysctls which need to access any state you may
have decided to virtualize - those should converted to use SYSCTL_VNET_*
macros.

Cases which fall into category C) are the ones which probably require most
attention and in certain cases may require certain amount of code
restructuring.  Handlers which are dispatched via timers are not bound to any
of the network stack instances, so in those you have to follow one of the two
possible strategies:

1) iterate over all existing VNETs and do your timer-driven stuff once in each
of those - in that case take a look at how VNET_LIST_RLOCK(),
VNET_ITERATOR_DECL() and VNET_FOREACH() family of macros are used elsewhere,
or

2) if the timer-driven event is bound to an object which is associated with an
ifnet interface, you should explicitly set the curvnet context to match the
one the ifnet is associated with, using CURVNET_SET(ifp->if_vnet), as I
pointed out earlier in this thread.

Buiding a VNET_DEBUG kernel may help you a bit to find out the critical spots
when things go wrong, but don't expect miracles...

I think both Julian and Bjoern have already written pretty nice and extensive
documents covering those topics, but I would't know the current status or
whereabouts of those...

Hope this helps,

Marko