kern/158686: [vimage] [tap] [patch] Add VIMAGE support to if_tap

Daan Vreeken Daan at vitsch.nl
Tue Jun 19 09:10:24 UTC 2012

The following reply was made to PR kern/158686; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Daan Vreeken <Daan at vitsch.nl>
To: Mikolaj Golub <trociny at freebsd.org>
Cc: bug-followup at freebsd.org, "Alexander V. Chernikov" <melifaro at freebsd.org>
Subject: Re: kern/158686: [vimage] [tap] [patch] Add VIMAGE support to if_tap
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:06:26 +0200

 Hi Mikolaj,

 On Saturday 16 June 2012 09:25:26 Mikolaj Golub wrote:
 > Hi Daan,
 >
 > The patch is committed. Thank you!

 Thanks for the commit!

 > Note, I have not committed the "FIB" part of the patch though because I am
 > not sure it was supposed to be done in this way. Your change looks
 > reasonable for me, as it looks like without it mbufs of all incoming
 > packets are not tagged on tap interface. On the other hand I don't see
 > examples in kernel where tag is set before if_input() call (only before
 > netisr_queue() or netisr_dispatch()). if_input() is actually ether_input().
 > May be it is supposed to just add this tag in ether_input()?
 >
 > I cc Alexander Chernikov, who is the author of the original patch that
 > added mbuf tagging of incoming packets (r223741), and close this pr as the
 > vimage part is fixed.

 I don't have a working test setup or use case at this moment where we use
 multiple FIBs in combination with tap(4), but if I remember correctly, the
 kernel would instantly panic upon receiving the first packet through the
 interface without the call to M_SETFIB().

 If I run in to this again I'll submit a separate PR for this problem.

 Thanks,
 --
 Daan Vreeken
 Vitsch Electronics