simulating wireless device (if_alloc panic, VirtualBox, VIMAGE)

Monthadar Al Jaberi monthadar at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 10:51:25 UTC 2011

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Bjoern A. Zeeb
<bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Feb 2011, Monthadar Al Jaberi wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 8:06 PM, Julian Elischer <julian at freebsd.org>
>> wrote:

>>> td->td_vnet is exactly what the CURVNET_SET macro sets.
>>> You should use the Macros because we may change the place where we store
>>> it.
>>>
>>> The vnet for the current thread is picked up from several places
>>> depending
>>> on the context,
>>> and it is cleared again when it is not needed.  the V_xxx usages in the
>>> code
>>> end up being
>>> in effect expanded to curthread->td_vnet.xxx, where each 'xxx' is sort of
>>> like an element in a structure
>>> but not quite.
>>>
>>> Now, theoretically we could just leave it set all the time but then it
>>> would
>>> be nearly impossible
>>> to find places where we should have changed it, but forgot and just got
>>> the
>>> existing one.
>>>
>>> if you want to find the correct place to go, then look at the vnet of the
>>> calling process
>>> which should be in the process cred. or just use vnet0.
>>
>> Can I check it from user space?
>>

>>> I don't understand why you saw a CRED_TO_VNET of 0
>>> I was under the impression that every process/thread in the system would
>>> be
>>> on vnet0
>>> in a vimage kernel.
>>
>> This is how my printf looks like:
>> struct thread *td = curthread;
>> struct vnet *v = TD_TO_VNET(td);
>> struct ucred *cred = CRED_TO_VNET(td->ucred);
>> struct vnet *td_vnet = td->td_vnet;
>
> here's your problem:
>
> strcut vnet *vnet = cred->cr_prison->pr_vnet;

When I add CURVNET_SET(CRED_TO_VNET(curthread->td_ucred)); I get a panic too...
But your suggestion works if I do like this:
curthread->td_vnet = curthread->td_ucred->cr_prison->pr_vnet;

CRED_TO_VNET(curthread->td_ucred) returns NULL

>> printf("td=%p, td->td_vnet=%p, td->td_ucred=%p, TD_TO_VNET=%p,
>> CRED_TO_VNET=%p\n", td, td_vnet, td->td_ucred, v, cred);
>>
>> I made a fast search in /usr/src for "td_vnet" and found it was
>> assigned only in
>> int fork1(td, flags, pages, procp):
>> #ifdef VIMAGE
>>        td2->td_vnet = NULL;
>>        td2->td_vnet_lpush = NULL;
>> #endif
>
> Nice try.  Want another search?  Hint: there is this in vnet.h:
>
> #define curvnet curthread->td_vnet
>
> And then you'll, again, find the CURVNET_SET_* macros.

Thank you

--
//Monthadar Al Jaberi