svn commit: r192351 - head/sys/netinet

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Tue May 19 20:31:35 UTC 2009

John Baldwin wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 May 2009 1:11:55 pm Julian Elischer wrote:
>> John Baldwin wrote:

>>> Gah, I had thought I had seen it in vnet_ipfw when adding
> default_to_accept
>>> (as at first I had looked into making default_to_accept per-image but
>>> tunables + VIMAGE don't mix).
>> we need to look at this.. what does it MEAN to have a tunable and
>> multiple images?  my guess is that normal tunables are only valid for
>> teh base image, but that one might have a way to set the 'tunables'
>> for one's child images..  possibly by setting them in one's environment?
>
> Do you have a kernel environment per vimage?  If not, you could still have
> per-vimage variables that are settable via tunables look at kenv during
> vimage creation to parse any tunables perhaps.  However, that is possibly
> tricky since you can sometimes use sysctl.conf to override a setting done via
> loader.conf and in that case, what value should a new vimage get

One could make the argument that tunables are set from outside
the base jail (i.e. at boot), and that the equivalent should
exist for each image/jail, where what is outside the jail is
the parent jail. We do not have a kernel environment per jail,
but I think that is because we haven't thought of it until now.

I'd suggest that just as you inherit new environment values
from a parent process, you could inherrit a 'changed' kernel
environment from a parent image, and in fact a parent might want to
send you differnet vale of something (e.g. linux uname value).

:-)

The