problem with time and cronjobs in Qemu guest

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Tue May 12 12:17:48 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have Qemu 0.10.1 installed on my old Windows 2000 PC and I am running
FreeBSD 7.2-RC1 i386 in it for some testing purposes. Today I realized
that some cron task was not run at specified time nor some commands in
endless loop.

This is simple example of strange behavior (written in tcsh shell)
root at firstbsd ~/# while 1
while?date
while?sleep 10
while?end
Tue May 12 13:43:20 CEST 2009
Tue May 12 13:43:58 CEST 2009
Tue May 12 13:44:35 CEST 2009
Tue May 12 13:45:12 CEST 2009
Tue May 12 13:45:50 CEST 2009
Tue May 12 13:46:27 CEST 2009
Tue May 12 13:47:04 CEST 2009
Tue May 12 13:47:42 CEST 2009
Tue May 12 13:48:20 CEST 2009
Tue May 12 13:48:57 CEST 2009
Tue May 12 13:49:37 CEST 2009
Tue May 12 13:50:19 CEST 2009
Tue May 12 13:50:58 CEST 2009
Tue May 12 13:51:37 CEST 2009

As you can see - the date command in not executed every 10 seconds.

Are there some settings (in FreeBSD guest or in Qemu itself) to fix this?

Miroslav Lachman