FBSD 8.0 And VirtualBox 3.1

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Mon Dec 21 18:50:39 UTC 2009

On 12/21/2009 4:42 AM, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Marius Nünnerich wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 04:48, Tim Daneliuk <tundra at tundraware.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Yup, but I wonder ... I'm running XP as the host which is 32-bit even
>>> though
>>> the hardware is 64-bit capabale.  Could this be limiting what VirtualBox
>>> can deliver?
>>
>> Exactly. For 64bit guests the host has to be 64bit too afaik.
>
> No, if hardware extensions are enabled then PAE is the only requirement
> for 32-bit hosts to run 64-bit guests.
>
> According to Wikipedia
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_D_microprocessors)
> some models of Pentium D have VT extensions and some don't. But then
> there's also the question of motherboard support.

Very strange.  I have tried this on two different motherboards and
neither works:

1) Win XP running on an Intel 945 mobo with a Pent D 940 which supposedly
   has VT support.

2) Ubuntu Karmic 64bit on a MSI P4M890 with a Pentium D 925 which may not
   have VT support.

Is the claim here that you cannot virtualize 64bit w/o VT support?  Certainly
you seem not to need it for 32 bit guests.
Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com