ppp in vimages?

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Wed Dec 2 22:55:10 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009, Justin Wong wrote:

Hi.

> I am having trouble getting ppp to work within vimages.  Without vimages, my
> box is able to connect (via vr0 interface) and assign it to tun0.  With

Which version of FreeBSD are you using?

> vimages, I assign vr0 to it (continuing with the name vr0 instead of eth0)
> and ppp cannot detect it therefore I am unable to request for an IP.  I am
> wondering whether this is a limitation on vimages/jails running ppp.
>
> Here is the error I am receiving:
>
> Dec  1 09:24:53 n2 ppp[1481]: tun0: Warning: deflink: PPPoE: unknown host
> Dec  1 09:24:53 n2 ppp[1481]: tun0: Warning: deflink: PPPoE: unknown host
> Dec  1 09:24:53 n2 ppp[1481]: tun0: Warning: deflink: Device (PPPoE:vr0)
> must bee
> gin with a '/', a '!' or contain at least one ':'

This sounds more like if you had some special charater in the config
file somewhere?

> Dec  1 09:24:53 n2 ppp[1481]: tun0: Phase: deflink: Enter pause (0) for
> redialinn
> g.

> Here is my ppp.conf:

which I just started inside a vimage (with a different interface name)
and it started just fine in -foreground, even though I don't have a
single netgraph module loaded (in base system).

> I also attempted to assign tun0 to a vimage, but it seems to lose its IP.

What you would do if you have ppp running in base and want the data
inside a vimage is to use a bridge.  If you move an interface between
network stacks basically all upper layer configuration is reset and
initialized as if the interface was just created.

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb         It will not break if you know what you are doing.