Vimage vs. jails

Julian Elischer julian at elischer.org
Tue Aug 18 22:53:10 UTC 2009

it's not Vimage vs Jails
but
Vimage as part of Jails.

Peter Cornelius wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I just see the vimage changes going into RELENG_8 and I now am
> getting my hands dirty, finally. So thanks to all involved.
>
> Just to get my head around this the right way, I understand that
> there is no plan to merge vimage and jail into a single jail
> utility, right?

Actually it IS now all one utility...
Add the 'vnet' option to jail to get it to create a new vnet withthe
jail, otherwise it acts as before.

> I may want a large number of vimages "w/o" jails, or at least a
> number of jails "inside" a couple of vimages (reason being the
> default route issue raised a while ago).

can you expand on that?

example comand lines include:
jail -c host.hostname=test path=/ vnet command=/bin/tcsh
( make a jail with the same root as normal but with a separate
network stack.)

jail -c host.hostname=test path=/ vnet children.max=4 \
            command=/bin/tcsh
(same as above, excep the jail made is in turn able to make
up to 4 child jails