V_* meta-symbols and locking

James Gritton jamie at gritton.org
Wed Jun 18 15:20:20 UTC 2008

Marko Zec wrote:

 > You are most probably right about the current code not sufficiently
 > protecting the "hostname" global from concurrent access, but I don't
 > see how V_ macroization / virtualization adds or changes anything to
 > this particular issue.

The change is that with the virtual hostname, I want to have the locking
that is currently lacking.  As that locking would be in a jail context,
it doesn't make sense to go use these virtual-variable macros when the
"jailness" of it is explicitly exposed anyway.

 > The same goes for virtualizing the networking
 > state - if there is a locking issue in a newtorking subsystem,
 > virtualization should not make such issues any more or less pronounced.

I suspect most, perhaps all, of the networking variables will work with
their own locking, especially if the locks themselves are part of a
virtualized structure.

- Jamie