jail_set (pretty much) done

James Gritton jamie at gritton.org
Wed Jul 9 21:02:39 UTC 2008

The name-based FreeBSD Jail extensions are now ready for use.  I've
added support to the user-space programs (jail, jls, jexec), and added
some fluff to the relevant man pages.

This still stands alone - I haven't yet integrated it with Vimage, which
is the next step.  But it's there for anyone who wants to take a look at
it on its own.  I've put diffs against Current in
http://gritton.org/jail_set.diff, and I have a perforce branch in
//depot/user/jamie/jail_set/.

In a nutshell, this adds three system calls: jail_get, jail_set, and
jail_remove.  Jail_remove is a no-brainer.  The other two allow jails to
be created and existing jails to be modified in a manner similar to the
nmount system call.  The user-level jail and jls programs work with
these system calls to set/get an arbitrary set of name-based jail
parameters.  The system has a certain set of parameters, key among them
the members of original jail structure, and modules are free to add
their own parameters.  The linux OS info has been changed to use this
setup as a demonstration (and because it's just better that way).

Hierarchical jails are supported (though turned off by default).

It's all in the updated jail(2) and jail(8) man pages.

- Jamie