VirtualBox (was Re: Xen Status)

Pedro Giffuni pfgshield-freebsd at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 23 19:41:47 UTC 2008

On 11:23 am 08/22/08 "Francisco Reyes" <lists at stringsutils.com> wrote:

> I am thinking whether we should approach the developers in VirtualBox
> (which I think was purchased by Sun..) and see if they have anyone what
> could work on a FreeBSD port and have the FreeBSD foundation pay for the
> work. I for one would definitely donate to the FreeBSD foundation towards
> virtualization work.

I am using VirtualBox on Vista to run OpenSolaris and PC-BSD .. it is great; it's pretty much comparable to qemu with acceleration, but better.

Unfortunately the FreeBSD port is stuck: at some point the basic stuff was working but the independent guy that was working on it lost interest. The big step is porting the kernel components that need FreeBSD specific knowledge.

I am not sure if we need someone from SUN/VB to do the port, maybe a FreeBSD kqemu hacker would be the right person.

Pedro.

ps. I updated devel/bin86 with amd64 support (PR ports/125614) in the hope that it will be useful for such effort.