webcamd, usb and two webcams - only one works

Hans Petter Selasky hps at selasky.org
Thu Nov 26 12:18:49 UTC 2020

On 11/26/20 1:04 PM, Thomas Steen Rasmussen via freebsd-usb wrote:
> Hello USB friends :)
>
> I am having a hard time trying to get two webcams working simultaneously
> on FreeBSD 12.2-STABLE r367109 GENERIC amd64.
>
> Each webcam works by itself, for example when taking a snapshot with
> pwcview:
>
> sudo pwcview -h -c 1 -o foo.jpg -d /dev/video0
>
> The webcam creates two video devices, video0 and video1. When I plug in
> the second webcam video2 and video3 are created. But trying to use the
> device doesn't work, pwcview hangs forever and multimedia/motion
> complains about timeouts when speaking to the camera.
>
> If I swap the cameras around then "the other one" works, so I know both
> cameras are fine.
>
> It seems somehow webcamd or maybe something in the usb system doesn't
> like having two cameras in my setup.

Hi Thomas,

Try setting the resolution or framerate down, because high resolution
webcams need a lot of USB bandwidth! We currently don't have so many
checks for excess bandwidth usage in the USB stack in FreeBSD, but I
believe this is the root cause.

Or make sure the webcams are connected to different USB host controllers.

I recently bought a couple of USB 3.0 capable webcams to resolve the
issue I had on my setup.

USB 2.0 is only 480 MBit/s and many webcams simply send raw data :-)