Realtex 0x0129 Card Reader problems

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Sun Jul 5 01:33:01 UTC 2020

I have a laptop with the following card reader:
ugen1.3: <Generic USB2.0-CRW> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (500mA)

  bLength = 0x0012
  bDescriptorType = 0x0001
  bcdUSB = 0x0200
  bDeviceClass = 0x00ff  <Vendor specific>
  bDeviceSubClass = 0x00ff
  bDeviceProtocol = 0x00ff
  bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0040
  idVendor = 0x0bda
  idProduct = 0x0129
  bcdDevice = 0x3960
  iManufacturer = 0x0001  <Generic>
  iProduct = 0x0002  <USB2.0-CRW>
  iSerialNumber = 0x0003  <20100201396000000>
  bNumConfigurations = 0x0001

and I'm trying to get it working.  I've found several previous threads:
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-usb/2013-July/012200.html
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-usb/2014-April/012874.html
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-usb/2016-February/014128.html
that suggest various quirks but none of those threads mention success and
the suggested quirks don't work for me - in particular, unless I force
both the wire and command protocol, nothing works and even with both
UQ_MSC_FORCE_WIRE_BBB and UQ_MSC_FORCE_PROTO_SCSI, I also need
UQ_MSC_NO_INQUIRY and UQ_MSC_NO_GETMAXLUN - which just moves the error to:
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): got CAM status 0x44
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): fatal error, failed to attach to device
That all makes me wonder if FreeBSD is actually communicating with the
device at all.

Can anyone offer a set of quirks that will actually work with this reader?

--
Peter Jeremy