USB reset fails when using a LimeSDR Mini on FreeBSD

Tomasz CEDRO tomek at cedro.info
Fri Jul 3 09:07:15 UTC 2020

pt., 3 lip 2020, 10:10 użytkownik Hans Petter Selasky napisał:

> > I see three possible approaches currently:
> >
> > 1. Allowing a USB reset if the user has access to /dev/ugenX.Y (might
> >     allow users to mess with kernel's operation on a device, unless the
> >     problem exists anyway, see my questions above).
> >
> > 2. Allowing a USB reset if the user has access to /dev/ugenX.Y and
> >     there are other prerequirements fulfilled (e.g. a sysctl setting to
> >     enable it globally, which might not be fine-graded enough, or the
> >     requirement that there is currently no kernel driver attached, or a
> >     combination thereof).
> >
> > 3. Providing a way to grant "reset permissions" on a per-device basis
> >     (might be overkill, and not really needed).
> >

> Maybe you're right we should allow this for non-root aswell. I need to
> think about it!

+1 for user enabled actions like usb reset and kernel driver detach :-)
maybe based on a sysctl like usermount, i.e. usb_allow_user_device_reset
and usb_allow_user_kernel_driver_detach..?

One would allow user to reset a usb device. This is sometimes required to
restore device or change its configration.

Second would allow user for example to unload ucom driver that is attached
to a device which does not seem possible right now and causes problem with
i.e. pyOCD / some debug probes.

Best regards :-)
Tomek