USB reset fails when using a LimeSDR Mini on FreeBSD

Hans Petter Selasky hps at selasky.org
Thu Jul 2 08:42:13 UTC 2020

On 2020-07-02 10:35, Jan Behrens wrote:
> Thus Linux definitely behaves differently here. My question is: Can
> and/or should FreeBSD be fixed to allow libusb_reset_device() as a user
> or should a driver library be fixed to not use that call.

This is an architectural problem. USB devices may have interfaces with
independent drivers attached. If one USB interface driver is running as
root and another USB interface driver is running as non-root, it doesn't
make sense that the non-root device driver should be able to affect the
root-one. Your LimeSDR device appears to be very simple, having just one
USB device driver attaching to it. Just imagine some web-page trying to
reset your USB device, just because it can! Yes, USB is also exposed to
firefox nowadays :-)

What we could do is to add a sysctl which controls the behaviour for
this specific case. Would that be of any use to you?