USB device not working on FreeBSD

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Wed Feb 8 20:05:37 UTC 2017

On 2/8/2017 2:20 PM, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After your device receives the following control endpoint request it
> becomes unrecoverable:
>
>> 13:05:50.860195 usbus0.4
>> SUBM-CTRL-EP=00000080,SPD=FULL,NFR=2,SLEN=8,IVAL=0
>>  frame[0] WRITE 8 bytes
>>  0000  A1 01 52 03 00 00 03 00  -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
>> |..R.....        |
>          ^^ USB read interface class (A1)
>             ^^ GET_REPORT (01)
>                   ^^ feature (03)
>                            ^^ length (3 bytes)
>>  frame[1] READ 3 bytes
>> 13:05:50.860938 usbus0.4
>> DONE-CTRL-EP=00000080,SPD=FULL,NFR=2,SLEN=0,IVAL=0,ERR=IOERROR
>>  frame[0] WRITE 8 bytes
>>  frame[1] READ 0 bytes
>
> Can you disable devd, and launch the apcupsd manually?
>
> Can you figure out which application is doing this request?
>
> If you don't start apcupsd, is this request then issued? If you stop
> other daemons like hald, webcamd ... ? Is the request still there when
> you plug the device?

I disabled devd, but I dont have anything else like hald or webcamd
running. I also disconnected all usb devices. I powered off the unit,
disconnected, then reconnected it to the box and started usbdump. I
didnt see the above sequence. I started apcupsd and it seems to be the
one sending that sequence to it.

> Are you using the latest version of apcupsd ?

Yes.

> BTW: The manufacturer should be let aware of this issue. It's like a
> zero-day to stop the device from working properly.

I can try.  I dont have any contacts there, but I will bcc' one of the
developers of apcupsd to see what he thinks.  I attached the output of
truss and the usbdump to see if that sheds any light on the issue and
why FreeBSD is crashing the device and not Linux.

	---Mike

--
Mike Tancsa, tel +1 519 651 3400
Sentex Communications, mike at sentex.net