snd_uaudio multichannel problems

Goran Mekić meka at tilda.center
Mon Oct 10 17:32:00 UTC 2016

Hello,

I own 2 18ch audio interfaces, and both have the same symptoms described in https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2016-October/273960.html. Since I wrote that mail, I did a little research. My hypotesis is that audio is 9 times faster as driver is handling 18 channels like they are 2. Also, if something for stereo stream is sent to all outputs, you expect to get some small and very high pitched output on all out jack, and I do. Also, playing with http://manuals.opensound.com/developer/singen.c.html revealed to me that if SNDCTL_DSP_CHANNELS is set to number different than the number of actual channels in a working stack (laptop and it's internal audio interface, in my case), you get difference in pitch and volume.

I didn't poke snd_uaudio code, yet, as I didn't do any kernel development before, but I'm affraid the number of kernel developers with multichannel audio interfaces is quite low, so I don't mind getting my hands dirty, but I'd love to get some advice before I attack this problem. Thank you!

Regards,
meka