xhci on Intel Lynx Point still broke

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Fri Oct 18 01:24:03 UTC 2013

On Oct 16, 2013, at 10:53 PM, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

> Is the problem fixed if you set:
>
> hw.usb.xhci.xhci_port_route=-1
>
> in /boot/loader.conf

No, no change in (lack of) functionality.

I uploaded these bootverbose-enabled dmesg outputs:

With XHCI Mode = Disabled in BIOS (reverts ports to EHCI control):

http://people.freebsd.org/~dwhite/dmesg.xhci_off_in_bios.20131017

With XHCI Mode = Enabled in BIOS and with tunable hw.usb.xhci.xhci_port_route=-1 set:

http://people.freebsd.org/~dwhite/dmesg.xhci_on.with_routing.20131017

> XHCI is a more high-level controller, and I suspect that the makers have added some propritary glue to switch ports back and forth between XHCI and EHCI which is not documented anywhere.

On the first board (X10SLM-F), XHCI Mode is a BIOS setting and affects all USB ports. I haven't experimented with settings on the Atom yet. The Atom uses a Renesas chip for its USB ports, though, and no USB from the SoC itself, that I can tell.