iPhone 4(S) access via gphoto2

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at nsu.ru
Sat Oct 12 17:59:37 UTC 2013

Hi there,

Today I was asked whether it is possible to transfer photos from an iPhone
4(S) in some non-standard way (since iTunes or whatever did not work for
some reason).  I immediately decided to give FreeBSD a try. ;-)

Quick googling revealed that graphics/gphoto2 should be able to help: all
it takes is simply plug the phone and issue command "gphoto2 -L" to see
all the photos.

Unfortunately, it did work for only one iPhone out of three I tried: the
one with product id 0x12a0.  Attach log message:

    root: Unknown USB device: vendor 0x05ac product 0x12a0 bus uhub4
    kernel: ugen4.2: <Apple Inc.> at usbus4

Two other iPhones have prodid of 0x1297, and attach messages indicate some
problem:

    kernel: usbus4: port reset timeout
    kernel: uhub_reattach_port: port 1 reset failed, error=USB_ERR_TIMEOUT
    kernel: uhub_reattach_port: device problem (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT), disabling port 1
    root: Unknown USB device: vendor 0x05ac product 0x1297 bus uhub4
    kernel: ugen4.2: <Apple Inc.> at usbus4

Doing "gphoto2 -L" yielded pretty much void results for these:

    $ env LANG=C gphoto2 -L
    There is no file in folder '/'.
    There is no file in folder '/store_00010001'.
    There is no file in folder '/store_00010001/DCIM'.
    $ _

My system is 8.4-STABLE, around SVN r253201.  Could it be that ugen(4) is
missing some vital quirk for 0x1297 iPhones?  Any further pointers how can
I make all iPhones accessible with gphoto2?

./danfe