usb/180923: SNES USB gamepad controller does not work.

Hans Petter Selasky hps at bitfrost.no
Mon Jul 29 12:00:02 UTC 2013

The following reply was made to PR usb/180923; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Hans Petter Selasky <hps at bitfrost.no>
To: Michael Terrell <vashisnotatree at gmail.com>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: usb/180923: SNES USB gamepad controller does not work.
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 14:01:16 +0200

 On 07/29/13 13:39, Michael Terrell wrote:

 >> Number:         180923
 >> Category:       usb
 >> Synopsis:       SNES USB gamepad controller does not work.
 >> Confidential:   no
 >> Severity:       non-critical
 >> Environment:
 > FreeBSD subzero 9.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE #0 r243826: Tue Dec  4 06:55:39 UTC 2012     root at obrian.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

 > I have a DragonRise SNES USB gamepad controller(VendorID= 0x0079; ProductID= 0x0011) and it doesn't work out of the box for FreeBSD. I created a device driver for it and it works fine now.
 >> How-To-Repeat:
 > Boot up a system running FreeBSD 9.1. Plug in the SNES USB gamepad into an available USB port on the system. The system will not be able to recognize the controller and the user will not be able to use it with user applications.
 >> Fix:
 > Create a device driver to recognize the device and allow user applications to access it. The code for the driver is here:
 > https://github.com/lispandtrees/dragon_rise_driver
 >
 >> Release-Note:
 >> Audit-Trail:
 >> Unformatted:

 Hi,

 If you work a bit more on the code, it can be included into the FreeBSD
 base system.

 1) 	.basename[0] = "uhid"

 You will need to call this something else, like "uhid.snes".

 2) Remove structure elements from "snes_usb_softc" which are not used.

 3) Add FreeBSD 2-clause copyright to C- and H- files.

 4) Are you aware about similar projects like uhidd and webcamd which
 might already support your device?

 Thank you!