Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1.5TB external HDD problems

Denver Hull denverh at comcast.net
Mon Jun 25 21:24:12 UTC 2012

maxim naumov wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 4:29 PM, Denver Hull<denverh at comcast.net>  wrote:
>

>> storage device.  If you're interested, I can either send you the source, or
>> make it available by ftp.  Might be easier than cobbling something up from
>> scratch.
>>
> Denver, that is very considerate of you. please do send me the source.
> I was going to use iozone but so far couldn't figure out how to make
> it work on block devices. I am also going to try msdosfs on that drive
> in the meantime.
>
> /max

The source is available here:
http://irresistible-images.com/files/diskrand/diskrand.tgz

For instructions, just type diskrand with no parameters.
If you have any trouble with it let me know.  It's been a while since I
used it, but I can probably still figure it out.

To build it, use gmake in the parent (diskrand) directory.  It will
figure out your platform and build diskrand in the appropriate
subdirectory: BSD, LINUX, SGI, etc.  Optional gmake targets you can use
are all, clean, install.  You may need to use clean first, then
install.  For FreeBSD, install puts the executable in /usr/local/bin.

It's mostly a tool to check for data corruption, so the normal use
automatically includes an initial data fill over the specified range
unless you disable it with -n.  The data consists of a pattern based on
the LBA.  Data compare errors result in an output of all the data that
didn't match, then it stops.  Other errors will also cause it to stop.
Reads always include a verification of the data, and writes are always a
data pattern based on the LBA.  It's unique for each LBA, but always the
same for a specific LBA.  In normal operation everything after the
initialization is random: the starting LBA, the size of the transfer,
whether it's a read or write.  You can override any of that with the
command-line switches.

You can run multiple copies of diskrand on one device by assigning a
different range within the device for each copy.  You can get a lot of
I/O activity going with that method.

I guess that's about all.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Denver