Quirk for a USB mass storage device

Gustau Pérez gperez at entel.upc.edu
Fri Oct 28 05:27:33 UTC 2011

Al 27/10/2011 20:28, En/na Hans Petter Selasky ha escrit:
> On Thursday 27 October 2011 10:12:46 Gustau Pérez wrote:
>>    Hi,
>>
>>    I'm running FreeBSD 10.0 r226042 on AMD64 and I'm having problems
>> with the following device:
>>
>>         umass0: <Kingston DataTraveler 200, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.10,
>> addr 7> on usbus0
>>         umass0:  SCSI over Bulk-Only; quirks = 0x4001
>>         umass0: Get Max Lun not supported (USB_ERR_TIMEOUT)
>>         umass0:5:0:-1: Attached to scbus5
>>
>>    as you can see, UQ_MSC_NO_GETMAXLUN should be set to use the device.
>> As it is a 64Gb mass storage I would like  to use it.
>>
>>    I tried to manually add the quirk and it worked. Later on I tried
>> with 9.0Beta2/i386 on the same machine and the problem also appeared. So
>> I made a patch (which works on CURRENT, did not try with STABLE) to add
>> the quirk, which is attached.
>>
>>    Hans: is it necessary to fill a PR with the patch or would it be
>> enough with the inline patch?
> Hi Gustau,
>
> Does this device work at all without this patch?
>
> I was thinking to auto detect this behaviour instead.
>
> --HPS

   It did not work without the quirk. The corresponding /dev/daX device
never appeared. After manually setting the quirk I could use it by
unplugging and re-plugging the device.

   I see a few number of devices using this quirk. However many of them
use other quirks too. So auto detecting this behavior would be good for
those pseudo-scsi devices having only problems with LUN detection.

   Please let me know if you want me to test any patch or you want me to
check any code.

   Gus