panic: umass1: Unknown state 1

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Oct 13 18:07:41 UTC 2011

I just got this panic on a recent stable/8 amd/64 system:
panic: umass1: Unknown state 1

Here's a screen shot from the KVM console:

http://www.secnetix.de/olli/tmp/umass-panic.jpg

Unfortunately, the crash dump that was written seems to be
lost.  A quick search on the PRs doesn't reveal anything
either ...  has anyone seen this type of panic before?

It happened when I was switching virtual remote drives in
the management application of an IBM blade center, i.e.
the USB drive is actually a virtual drive emulated by the
blade management system.  I did similar things a few times
before without a panic, so this isn't 100% reproducable.
Also, I'm reluctant to try again because this is a quite
important production server.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Whatever happened to the days when hacking started
at the cerebral cortex, and not at the keyboard?"
  --  Sid on userfriendly.org by Illiad, 2007-06-20