cellular modems and amd64 FreeBSD

Tyson Boellstorff perlcat at windstream.net
Sat Apr 9 03:11:55 UTC 2011

A couple weeks ago, I posted about not being able to make my sierra
wireless cellular modem work on amd64 FreeBSD. It is recognized as a
CDROM instead of anything that can take an IP.

dmesg info is here:
http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?201103212107.18762.perlcat

It turns out that I'm on about half of the right track.

I tried booting to an openbsd amd64 4.8 kernel just to see what would
happen, and it also detects the device as a CDROM. Clearly something is
changed when the architecture goes to amd64, and I'd be happy to
investigate if anybody can tell me what to do.

What can I do to troubleshoot this?