USB 3.0 external HDD does not work

Lars Engels lars.engels at 0x20.net
Fri Apr 8 17:42:52 UTC 2011

I just bought a shiny new external 2.5" USB 3.0 HDD (Samsung Portable 3.0).
However on my notebook with USB 2.0 it does not work. dmesg output after
inserting it:

usb_alloc_device: set address 2 failed (USB_ERR_STALLED, ignored)
usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed, USB_ERR_STALLED
usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=2, set address failed! (USB_ERR_STALLED, ignored)
usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed, USB_ERR_STALLED
usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=2, set address failed! (USB_ERR_STALLED, ignored)
usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed, USB_ERR_STALLED
ugen4.2: <Unknown> at usbus4 (disconnected)
uhub_reattach_port: could not allocate new device
usb_alloc_device: set address 2 failed (USB_ERR_STALLED, ignored)
usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed, USB_ERR_STALLED
usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=2, set address failed! (USB_ERR_STALLED, ignored)
usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed, USB_ERR_STALLED
usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=2, set address failed! (USB_ERR_STALLED, ignored)
usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 2 failed, USB_ERR_STALLED
ugen4.2: <Unknown> at usbus4 (disconnected)
uhub_reattach_port: could not allocate new device

The notebook is running CURRENT (r220370).
I also tried all other USB ports, all don't work.

Lars

P.S: Please CC me, I'm not subscribed to the list.