Help troubleshooting...

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Oct 26 13:42:26 UTC 2009

In message: <86skd6cmm8.fsf at ds4.des.no>
            Dag-Erling_Smørgrav <des at des.no> writes:
: "M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com> writes:
: > FreeBSD lighthouse 9.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 9.0-CURRENT #41 r185338:198411M: Fri Oct 23 10:08:48 MDT 2009     imp at lighthouse:/cache/svn/head/sys/amd64/compile/LIGHTHOUSE  amd64
: >
: > so it would have r197682 baked in (the first number in my rev string
: > is a mystery to me).
:
: It means you have an inconsistent tree.  The first number is the oldest
: revision in your tree, the second is the newest, and the M means you
: have local modifications.

Yes.  Of course I have local modifications, but none in the usb stack.
But I've also done a svn update from the top of the tree multiple
times and this version number persists.

: > Re another post: This is a 8GB flash, so I'm sure that there's enough
: > power.
:
: Non sequitur.  Bigger chips draw more power.  Is it plugged directly
: into the computer?  If not, is it plugged into a powered hub?  How many
: other devices are connected to the computer or hub?

Not entirely.  This flash has worked in this computer in the past
without issues (like a year ago when we were first integrating hpsusb
into the tree).  This flash is plugged directly into the computer.
This behavior is consistent across multiple ports on the computer (so
it isn't a bad port).  While this doesn't prove it isn't a power
issue, the odds are stacked against it being one.  If there were a way
to get the internal hub to tell me how much power it can deliver, and
for me to query the flash to see maximum current draws, we could see
if we're close to the edge or not...

Warner