usb/140810: 8.X+ uftdi copy and paste problem / tty overflow

Corey Smith csmith at bonddesk.com
Mon Nov 23 15:50:02 UTC 2009

>Number:         140810
>Category:       usb
>Synopsis:       8.X+ uftdi copy and paste problem / tty overflow
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD  8.0-RC3 FreeBSD 8.0-RC3 #2: Fri Nov 20 18:28:57 EST 2009     root@:/usr/src/sys/amd64/compile/GENERIC  amd64

We are using a VSCOM USB-16COM-RM which is a UFTDI based 16 port serial terminal.

It is detected as 8 FT2232C dual port serial connections:

product FTDI SERIAL_2232C       0x6010  FT2232C Dual port Serial

ugen3.3: <USB FAST SERIAL ADAPTER FTDI> at usbus3, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON

  bLength = 0x0012
  bDescriptorType = 0x0001
  bcdUSB = 0x0200
  bDeviceClass = 0x0000
  bDeviceSubClass = 0x0000
  bDeviceProtocol = 0x0000
  bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0008
  idVendor = 0x0403
  idProduct = 0x6010
  bcdDevice = 0x0500
  iManufacturer = 0x0001  <FTDI>
  iProduct = 0x0002  <USB FAST SERIAL ADAPTER>
  iSerialNumber = 0x0003  <FT58L91Z>
  bNumConfigurations = 0x0001

If you 'tip ucom1' and paste a long sequence of text into the terminal then the terminal will start to constantly spew what appears to be random memory contents to the host connected on ucom1.  This same configuration is known good in 7.1-RELEASE.

The problem definitely occurs on 8.0-BETA3 and 8.0-RC3.  The serial ports work fine if you never copy and paste but as soon as you start to copy and paste more than 60 odd characters at a time you see this random garbage on the tty.  AFAIK the garbage will continuously send to the attached host until you reboot the box.

I don't know if this problem is reproducible using other uftdi based devices as I don't have any other hardware to test with.

>How-To-Repeat:
Paste long sequences of text into a tip session connected through a uftdi device under 8.0-RC3.  Notice constant garbage being transmitted to the host until you reboot the console server.
>Fix:
No fix but a workaround is to not copy and paste into terminals connected through uftdi devices.