usb/140477: [patch] allow boot-time attachment of daX devices to GEOM_ELI

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Wed Nov 11 21:30:05 UTC 2009

The following reply was made to PR usb/140477; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Scott Long <scottl at samsco.org>
To: FreeBSD-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: usb/140477: [patch] allow boot-time attachment of daX devices to GEOM_ELI
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 11:37:55 -0700

 I understand your concern about G_ELI.  I'm not a fan of
 root_mount_hold, and I'd really like it to go away in favor of the
 SYSINIT and INTRHOOK mechanisms that already existed before
 root_mount_hold was introduced.  It's really a hack, and a messy one
 that requires extensive modification to the system to work; i.e.
 root_mount_hold calls need to be added to just about every storage
 driver, not just 'ad' and 'da', while the existing SYSINIT based
 ordering does not.

 I'll look into this and see if I can come up with an alternate solution.

 Scott