HPLIP and usb printers again

Torfinn Ingolfsen torfinn.ingolfsen at broadpark.no
Mon Sep 22 23:42:17 UTC 2008

Hello,

I recently changef workstations and had the pleasure (and pain) of
setting up all my stuff again. This also incldues my HP Photosmart 8250
printer, connected via usb.
The printer have been working (connected to my old workstation) since
the days of the initial port of HPLIP to FreeBSD.
So on my new workstation I just installed cups and hplip, and preceeded
to set up the printer. No go. hp-probe reported the serial number of the printer as zero,
and that I *knew* was wrong:
  Device URI                               Model
  ---------------------------------------  -------------------------
  hp:/usb/Photosmart_8200_series?serial=0  HP Photosmart 8200 series

 Then I found this thread[1], and this patch[2].
When I checked the port after 'make patch', the patch was laready in the musb.c file,
so I took my chancesd and reversed (-R) the patch.

After that I found out that hp-probe reported the printer correctly:
  Device URI                                            Model
  hp:/usb/Photosmart_8200_series?serial=MY61B3X1NC04KJ  HP Photosmart 8200 series

hp-setup still fails to setup the printer, ending with this error message:
Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed

hp-toolbox reports the same error message.
I set up my printer via the cups web interface, and it now prints and works.
My new workstation runs FreeBSD 7.0-stable:
tingo at kg-work2$ uname -a
FreeBSD kg-work2.kg4.no 7.0-STABLE FreeBSD 7.0-STABLE #1: Mon Sep 22 23:02:46 CEST 2008     root at kg-work2.kg4.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SX270  i386

I will not be able to follow up on this for the next two weeks.