USB HID parser

Chuck Robey chuckr at telenix.org
Thu May 15 01:19:38 UTC 2008

Milan Obuch wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 May 2008, Chuck Robey wrote:
>> I wrote a parser, and I don't know if anyone might be interested in it.  I
>> didn't write it as something to be used in a driver ... I wrote it as a
>> learning aid, for someone who's trying to learn that horrible USB HID spec.
>>  It's quite verbose, most especially if you use it in GUI mode (I wrote it
>> in Python, and it's got a integral Tkinter GUI.  In Python mode, it's got
>> help info available on every output it has, and displays the data it's
>> parsing in a way taht makes it fairly easy to have the USB HID parser on
>> your knee, while you slowly step the parser thru the input data.
>>
>> The input data, I originally wrote it to use the output of Kai Wang's USB
>> HID parser/descriptor dumper, but it's more verbose, and (like I said) is
>> perfectly set up to let you follow the parsing, item by item, from the
>> orignal hex to the output.
>>
>> The Non-GUI is somewhat less verbose, but this is the first time I;ve let
>> it be seen, and if you think you'd like to see it changed, I'm not against
>> adding a special mode for a small group of users, even just one user if it
>> seems like a likely-enough suggestion.
>>
>> I called it parsetool.  I know that's a fairly dumb name )(there are one or
>> two projects already oout with that name), come up with a better one, and
>> I'll gladly use it (if it's not overly silly).
>>
>> Write me if you want it, I'll mail it to you, the tarball is fairly small
>> (even with all those tables, it's only about 25K compressed) and
>> installation couldn't really get any easier, just make sure you have a
>> working python of 2.3 or later, with a working Tkinter.
>>

> Could you eventually make a port from it and submit it this way? I think it
> could be usefull for many...

After getting no response to any requests for any feedback (like alpha test, but
about either the protocol features, OR the accessibility of the UI) I begin to
wonder if there is really any interest pool for this.  Unless I get at least
*some* feedback, I will make it available, but no port.  Geeze, it doesn't need
one!  If you have Python + Tkinter, then copy it into come directory, then kick
it off either with a < redirect or a -f filename flag (yes, there's a
"usage()"), it can't get a whole lot easier, could it?  Not even any compiling!
 I sat for what seemed like forever and pounded those endless tables into the
source code, too.

I'm beginning to wonder if I will have even one FreeBSDer who wants it,  Might
get rid of a couple of Linux versions.  I hate to admit that it works just as
well on Windows, darn it.  Maybe I could figure out how to break it for Windows,
what do you say?