Microsoft Natural keyboard vendor/product strings aren't displayed

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Tue Jul 22 22:45:09 UTC 2008

I've come across a strange issue with the detection of a Microsoft
Natural Elite keyboard I recently bought and am using with FreeBSD 7.0
with the PS/2-USB adapter that came with it. I've had a look through
some of the usb code and found the usbdevs file which I guess generates
a database of vendor/product strings that get used if the identification
data can't be read from the device itself. However, although my
keyboard is listed in usbdevs that information doesn't seem to get used
when it's attached:

ukbd0: <vendor 0x045e product 0x000b, class 0/0, rev 1.00/0.82, addr 3>
on uhub3

I've had a look through usbd_devinfo_vp in usb_subr.c but can't see
anything that would prevent the strings from usbdevs_data.h being used
when reading from the device fails. Is the usbdevs file still used to
obtain vendor/product strings when attaching usb devices or have I
just stumbled across a bug?

--
Bruce Cran