Crash when booting with umass device connected

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Wed Jul 16 20:49:47 UTC 2008

--On Wednesday, July 16, 2008 10:58:53 +0200 "Paul B. Mahol" <onemda at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 7/15/08, Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com> wrote:
>> --On Tuesday, July 15, 2008 11:23:09 +0200 "Paul B. Mahol"
>> <onemda at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Look in Developers handbook for more info
>>> /usr/share/doc/en/books/developers-handbook/index.html
>>>
>>> I think that textdumps are MFCed to STABLE.
>>> Textdumps provide easy way for gathering backtraces.
>>
>> The problem is, I'm not getting dump files.  (And dumpdev is set to AUTO -
>> the
>> default.)  Savecore runs, but there's nothing to put in /var/crash.
>>

> First, do you see kdb prompt when system panics?

I'm sorry.  I don't know what that means.

> If not then you will need to recompile kernel with various debug stuff:
> KDB, DDB, GDB, DEBUG=-g ...

Well, there's a problem with that.  I added option USB_DEBUG and recompiled the
kernel, and now it doesn't crash.  ???  I left the umass device plugged in and
rebooted, so that I could show a peer the crash, and it zipped right on through
without a hiccup.

> Second do you have line with sw in /etc/fstab.

Yes.

pauls at utd65257# grep sw /etc/fstab
/dev/ad8s1b             none            swap    sw              0       0

> If not,
> it is possible to set dump device manually.
> You should have following lines in /etc/rc.conf:
>
> ddb_enable="YES"
> ddb_config="/etc/ddb.conf"
>
> But this one is required only if you want that textdumps are
> taken automaticaly after system crash.
> Exploring ddb(4) is also usefull.

Thanks for the tips.  I'll read up on those.

--
Paul Schmehl
As if it wasn't already obvious,