AnyDATA ADU-500A speed/stalled/panic

Alexander Kozlov synthetic.youth at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 14:20:02 UTC 2008

   Hi.

I have some problems with USB CDMA modem AnyDATA ADU-500A.
I'm running FreeBSD 7.0 RELEASE rebuilt with GENERIC conf and patch to
recognize this modem. I took patch from

Device is recognized as
ucom0: <AnyDATA Corporation AnyDATA CDMA Products, class 0/0, rev
1.10/0.00, addr 2> on uhub1

1. The first issue is 'ucom0: ubsa_request: STALLED' messages.

I have these messaged when dailing with ppp
ucom0: ubsa_request: STALLED
ucom0: ubsa_request: STALLED
ucom0: ubsa_request: STALLED
ucom0: ubsa_request: STALLED
ucom0: ubsa_request: STALLED
ucom0: ubsa_request: STALLED
ucom0: ubsa_request: STALLED

But I have device connected to internet. A lot of such messages I got
when notebook is idle for some time.

2. Second is speed issue. I never get more than 29 KByte/sec. But at
Windows XP SP3 and Ubuntu 8.04 I have up to 100 KByte/sec. As far as I
know this is the limit for my location.
I managed to have 100 KByte by patching ubsa.c: tuning ibuzsize and
obufsize. I partially applied patch from
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-usb/2008-January/004298.html

Is this correct way to resolve speed issue?

3. Third and most painfull is system crash. It happens when device is
used by several apps or when downloading at high speed. I got

kernel: panic: uhci_abort_xfer: not in process context

Panic happens and without speed issue patch. Crashes never happen when
device is idle and there's no internet traffic.

I' sure this device has no hardware issues because it works well at
Windows and Ubuntu. I can provide any information you need. I'm newbie
to FreeBSD and unix world but have some skill at C/C++ programming. I
want to have this device working under FreeBSD and ready to spend as
much time as needed.

Thank you in advance, and sorry for mangled english.