BlackBerry (Re: using libusb)

Alfred Perlstein alfred at freebsd.org
Wed Jan 9 15:40:10 PST 2008

* Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky at c2i.net> [080109 11:31] wrote:

> Some open problems that needs to be resolved:
>
> Should we allow parallell access to USB interfaces?

I think the initial revision should probably be "no" but to keep in
mind that it may be needed at a later date.

One thing to think about is that I recall some third party printer
management tools that needed "ugen" in order to pass through specific
usb commands, but then wanted to actually use the "ulpt" device afterwards.

It might make sense to have a range of ioctls that should "pass through"
all usb devices if possible, sort of like how socket options can be passed
down through the socket layer and into the protocol, ie. TCP_NODELAY.

As far as rights, for the time being root is probably OK, don't get
caught up in details. :)

-Alfred