Need docs on USB driver development

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely12.cicely.de
Tue Feb 12 03:31:01 PST 2008

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 04:03:27AM +0300, Dmitry Marakasov wrote:
> * Dmitry Marakasov (amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru) wrote:
>
> > work through neither uhid nor ugen drivers (though I'm gonna do
> > some more digging here). So I've decided to go level lower and write
> Upd: I was able to make it work through ugen. By the chance I've plugged
> the device into another slot, and it worked.
>
> So the curious thing is that it works like that:
> addr 1: UHCI root hub, Intel
>  addr 3: AVerMedia USB Radio, AVerMedia Technologies
>
> (can write commands to /dev/ugen0.2)
>
> But not like that:
> addr 1: OHCI root hub, NEC
>  addr 2: AVerMedia USB Radio, AVerMedia Technologies
>
> (writing to /dev/ugen0.2 fails with EIO)

Some devices are way to sensitive to noise and sometimes even timing.
What you see is very likely a transmission error because of hardware
problems and not of software.
I would say the device is just badly designed.
You may even change the situation by adding an hub between.

--
B.Walter                http://www.bwct.de      http://www.fizon.de
bernd at bwct.de           info at bwct.de            support at fizon.de