uscanner: HP ScanJet 4300C

Raaf raaf at zen.mooo.com
Sat Sep 22 23:04:53 PDT 2007

Oliver Fromme wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have bought a HP ScanJet 4300C, specifically because
> this very scanner is listed in FreeBSD's uscanner(4)
> manpage and in SANE's list of supported USB scanners.
>
> However, this is all I get:
>
> uscanner0: <vendor 0x03f0 product 0x0305, class 0/0, rev 1.00/0.00, addr 2> on uhub0
> uscanner0: setting config no failed
> device_attach: uscanner0 attach returned 6
> uhub0: port 4, set config at addr 2 failed
> uhub0: device problem (TIMEOUT), disabling port 4
>
> That's on 7-current, but it fails the same way on 6-stable.
> I also tried on two different machines with different USB
> chipsets, and different ports ...  No change.

Most USB devices only have one configuration. You could
try commenting out the call to usbd_set_config_no() and
the related error checking code in the attach routine of
uscanner.

If that doesn't work or you want to investigate further,
adding:

options  USB_DEBUG

to your kernel configuration file will give you some
more useful debugging messages. You can control the
verbosity level with the hw.usb.debug sysctl.

Raaf