how to distinguish multiple umass devices?

Dmitry Marakasov amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru
Wed Oct 24 18:37:43 PDT 2007

Hi!

I have multiple umass devices (flash key, player and photo camera), and
I want to distinguish their devices in some way.

The best thing would be to have /dev/flash, /dev/camera etc, as in this
case I'll distinguish thoughput graphs on GKrellM system monitor. But I
don't think it's possible, so I need a way to at least create
corresponding symlinks in /dev. As I understand, devd is my savior, but
there's one problem that bugs me: devd sees umass[012], but it doesn't
know anything about da[012]. Is there guarantee that umassX matches daX,
or is it possible to get da* device from devd on umass attach?

Dmitry A. Marakasov    | jabber: amdmi3 at jabber.ru
amdmi3 at amdmi3.ru       | http://www.amdmi3.ru