How do I use my USB headset?

Ariff Abdullah ariff at FreeBSD.org
Thu Oct 11 11:33:36 PDT 2007

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 20:00:48 +0200 (CEST)
Andreas Davour <ante at Update.UU.SE> wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday 10 October 2007, Andreas Davour wrote:
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> I've bought a Logitech USB headset, and realized that since it's
> >a USB > device it shows up as new audio unit with it's own mixer
> >and other > devices. Now TeamSpeak and Skype, which are the
> >programs I bought the > headset for, don't seem to like the idea of
> >sending the audio output > anywhere except the first unit i.e. pcm0
> >which unfortunately is my built > in laptop audio device.
> >>
> >> Anyone know if I can somehow route all output/input to pcm1 or
> >somehow > get the headset to work with Skype?
> >>
> >> I can use some programs, like 'mplayer' which take a lot of
> >options like > to what device it shall render audio/video. But
> >since not all programs > are that forgiving I had hoped there would
> >be some kind of system wide > way to direct the audio system to use
> >my USB device instead. >
> >> Any suggestions?
> >>
> >> I am using KDE if that's important (and I have checked the volume
> >on all > devices and it's not zero).
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > If you are not using FreeBSD-7 current, something like the
> > following might do the trick:
> >
> > rm /dev/dsp0
> > ln -s /dev/dsp1 /dev/dsp0

This is so wrong / undefined behaviour, since FreeBSD 5.x and beyond.
You should use sysctl hw.snd.unit _OR_ hw.snd.default_unit (depending
on FreeBSD version) to toggle default device for application that
requesting "/dev/dsp" or "/dev/mixer". Most application does not
really care about what unit they are accessing, all they care is
"/dev/dsp" (with the unit numbering being omitted).

> > Although that means you will loose access to /dev/dsp0 .
>
> Sorry, I should have mentioned that I use 6.2-RELEASE fully patched.
>
> That's a good suggestion, and loosing /dev/dsp0 is ok for the
> moment.  The sad thing is it didn't work. :-(

Of course it didn't work, since the behaviour of forcing rm/ln is
undefined. You probably have to reboot or reload or re-attach, since
rm/ln will screw it.

--
Ariff Abdullah
FreeBSD

... Recording in stereo is obviously too advanced
    and confusing for us idiot ***** users :P ........