Kernel panic; fatal trap 12; on task 22, USB0: was Re: Moused issues?

Joe Altman fj at panix.com
Sun Oct 7 16:42:09 PDT 2007

On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 11:01:41AM +0200, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On Saturday 06 October 2007, Joe Altman wrote:
> > chthonic.com/crash-crash-crash
>
> Hi,
>
> Do you have "options KDB" in your kernel config file ?

Following your suggestion, I did try this; and there was no
change from kernel panic and reboot.

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/kerneldebug-options.html
>
> You should get a prompt when it panics.

There was no prompt.

> Then you type in "bt" for backtrace.
> Maybe you could take a picture of that.

Personally, it's a bit embarassing to be so helpless that I am forced
to take a picture. I suppose if I could be certain about how to
compile bootblocks, I might be able to do something on the serial
console with a laptop.

But the one time I attempted that was a disaster.

Is my speculation about the "...no dump device found..." correct? Is
it that swapon and multiuser has not occurred, and so there can occur
no dump to the swap space?

> Probably someone is accessing a NULL pointer.

If any more damage occurs, ISTM that my entire installation will be
accessing a NULL pointer; the following message is from the most
recent dmesg, and is new:

warning: KLD '/boot/kernel.old.bootable/drm.ko' is newer than the
linker.hints file

Since my hardware appears to not work with the available source, who
knows how that will go?