CURRENT appears to solve, Re: USB goes away

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Sun Oct 7 10:44:21 PDT 2007

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 03:03:41 -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <20071002055139.GA27687 at parts-unknown.org>
>             David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org> writes:
> : On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 22:55:44 -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> : > In message: <20071002041552.GA43023 at parts-unknown.org>
> : >             David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org> writes:
> : > : On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 22:02:43 -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> : > : > In message: <20071002025715.GA10999 at parts-unknown.org>
> : > : >             David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org> writes:
> : > : > : I gather that USB has, in the past, been troublesome on
> : > : > : FreeBSD.  From my present experience, it still is.
> : > : >
> : > : > Which version?
> : > : >
> : > : earth% uname -a
> : > : FreeBSD earth.cybernude.org 6.2-RELEASE-p7 FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p7 #53: Sat Sep 29 20:25:11 PDT 2007     root at earth.cybernude.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/EARTH  i386
> : >
> : > We're working on getting -current out the door.  Any chance you can
> : > try that?  Or will I need to backport current's USB stack for you? :-)
> : >
> : I will try upgrading to current.  (Oh what fun it is to live on the
> : bleeding edge!)
>
> Well, it isn't so bleeding since we're trying to do a Release.

After some considerable fumbling about, I now have CURRENT installed
and running.  I *did* install userland; I noticed some kldxref errors
that probably weren't really errors about static modules and decided I
was nervous.

But the Palm Treo seems to connect up reliably on an initial test, both
to sync updates from the Palm to a backup directory on the system, and
to install a bunch of files from the system onto the Palm.  This is a
test it was failing miserably under the last instance of 6.2 I had tested.

So your new USB stack is at least better.  Also, someone did some nice
work someplace that impacted Xorg (I also updated some ports, so maybe
it is just that); it comes up much faster now.

Thanks!

--
David Benfell, LCP
benfell at parts-unknown.org
---
Resume available at http://www.parts-unknown.org/
NOTE: I sign all messages with GnuPG (0DD1D1E3).