Memory leak / Kernel Panic using snd_uaudio (USB Sound Card)

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Sat Mar 31 06:40:35 UTC 2007

On Saturday 31 March 2007 00:02, Hofmann, Laurent wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I have a strange problem with my USB Sound Card. I found some records using
> Google, but they are all old and never answered.
>

> I'm using the kernel module snd_uaudio to use an USB Sound Card (kldload
> uaudio) on Freebsd 6.2-RELEASE. Usb Sound Card is a Hercule Muse Pocket LT.
>
> When playing audio (using PulseAudio), after around 2 hours, I get a kernel
> panic followed by a system reboot :
>

> "19:33:14 dolphin kernel: usb0: isoc TD alloc failed"
>
> And/Or
>
> "Mar 30 17:56:58 dolphin kernel: panic: kmem_malloc(12288): kmem_map too
> small: 42278912 total allocated".
>

> I can reproduce it as needed.
>

> How can we try to deal with this problem and find out what is wrong ?

The new USB stack has got a new uaudio driver also. I would try that first.

How to get the latest sources:

svn --username anonsvn --password anonsvn \
      checkout svn://svn.turbocat.net/i4b
#
# The following commands will
# install the driver on FreeBSD:
#
cd i4b/trunk/i4b/FreeBSD.usb
make S=../src package
make install

Then edit the file "install_uaudio.sh" and change it as needed, if you are not
installing to /usr/src.

./install_uaudio.sh

I am not sure what patches they MFC'ed from head to 6.2 release, regarding the
sound system, so it might be that my "uaudio.c" won't compile. But that can
easily be fixed if you send me the compile log where it breaks.