usb firmware download (Was: Re: M-Audio Transit experiments)

Stefan Ehmann shoesoft at gmx.net
Sat Mar 17 15:04:55 UTC 2007

Redirecting this from freebsd-multimedia to freebsd-usb:

Short synopsis:
Using a modified version of madfuload (http://usb-midi-fw.sourceforge.net/)
I'm able to upload the firmware to my M-Audio Transit usb sound card
using /dev/ugen0.

The problem is that the device doesn't get recognized as snd_uaudio device
unless I kldunload/kldload usb. On linux, madfuload does some kind of
usbdevfs reset but I haven't found an equivalent on FreeBSD.

What's the proper way of doing this?

On Saturday 17 March 2007 13:42:34 Martin Dieringer wrote:
> I added this entry in usbd.conf:
>
> device "M-Audio Transit, firmware download"
>          vendor  0x0763
>          product 0x2806
>          release 0x0100
>          attach "if ! kldstat -n snd_uaudio > /dev/null 2>&1 ; then kldload
> snd_uaudio; fi"
>          attach  "/usr/local/sbin/madfuload  -l -3 -f
> /usr/local/lib/madfuload/ma006100.bin -D /dev/${DEVNAME}"
>

> but the device won't show up. How does it work with usio for example?

I think usbd only handles automatically execution of commands if a specific
device is detected. So in this case the firmware is loaded but that doesn't
eliminate the need for re-attaching the device as snd_uaudio device.